Victoria

Updates on Victoria Lily Joy van den Broek, born 120705.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Little animals

I think I will have to develop more tolerance. Glad that I've not been out and about VERY much since Victoria was born I am disturbed to have noticed in a couple of recent (non homeschooling) adult conversations an attitude towards Victoria akin to how one might speak about a small pet animal. I'm sure they MEAN well (one of them is even a father of a 20+ y-old son with ds - he was put out to state care and has ended up in a 'sheltered' house with others similarly afflicted) but I have to keep a tight rein on my tongue and my attitude. I daresay it is good for me.

As far as I see, any of US could have been blessed with an additional copy of chromosome 21 and the fact that medical science has progressed such that basic re-plumbing on major organs - such as the heart - enables such people to live healthier lives these days - gives us more challenges for longer BUT when I look into Victorias eyes I see a person. Limited by the hypermobility, oversized tongue and poor auditory memory but extended by honest affection and willingness to love, forgive and forget.
I'm convinced that as her understanding increases she will be able to express something of her relationship with her Heavenly Father. Right now she's picked up someone's Bible and sitting on the sofa turning pages. Stopping at one she will make heartfelt singing noises - which I'm sure the Lord appreciates!!! I suppose most Christians don't really know what to do about 'disability' because their version of 'the faith' is heavily dependant on an intellectual apprehension of and accurate verbal expression of certain doctrinal truths. As for Victoria, she'll just get on with blessing others with her smiles and songs as an expression of her joy in the Lord. And after the ressurection she won't be limited by the effects of the fall - and will be totally intelligible and no less joyful.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger family at 103 said…

    Hi Tracy,
    I read Victoria's blog quite often, and am regularly touched with the delights that Victoria brings to you and your family, but this entry really hit the heart! Oh that we would all realise that Victoria's innocent joy is how we are to enjoy the saviour too; and how complicated we sometimes make it with our mind games! Big kisses to the young lady herself, hugs all round to the other children and Hello to you from Paula.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I visit your blog from time to time, and must say this entry is a gold star post! Praise God for her precious parents who see her as a gift from God. Praise God for Victoria, who loves so simply and worships with such innocence. I cannot read this post without thinking of the scripture "let the children come unto me for such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

    I am the mother of a wonderful DS son. Our son is already 23 - the years have gone so very fast. He brings much joy and delight to our family. He too worships God in His own innocent way. He may be slow by society standands, but in many ways he has a grasp of God and of love that many in society do not possess.

    Keep writing and shedding light and truth. The world would be a darker place without the light of the Down Syndrome people.

    God bless you.
    Grace.
    reading from Canada.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
+ Raising Down Syndrome Awareness -