Updates on Victoria Lily Joy van den Broek, born 120705.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Home again

I phoned the hospital at 8 on Sunday to check whether I ought to take Victoria in even though she wasn't very well. They said yes. Various tests - starting with an x-ray - were done. The most traumatic was, as always, getting blood. The good thing was that they took blood for the thyroid at the same time so that will save the necessity of having that done as a special event.
the anaesthetist came and checked her over and said she was OK for the catheter. A VERY long echo during which Victoria was very patient, still didnt' successfully get a picture of what was going on with the aorta - though the heart valve doesn't ahve a leak apparantly.
Sunday night was excessively noisy with a selection of intermittently squalling babies (sometimes as many as three simultaneously) and overly jovial nursing staff. I slept for about 1 and a half hours. The rest of the time I had cause, once again, to be thankful for my MP3 player. Victoria slept fitfully.
Monday morning came and a pre-med made victoria light-headed and amusing! It was two hours before she was back on the ward. The Doctor came to see me before I got Victoria back and said that it was a difficult case, ballooning was not possible because there is a long-ish length of the aorta which is uniformly 4mm in diameter rather than the ideal 10mm. This is causing her left ventricle have thicker muscle than it ought to have. Pressure to her head is more than 30% higher pressure than to her legs. The catheterisation allowed a picture to be made of the vessels around the heart to be made - radioactive dye was release at the end of the tube and pictures were (I suppose) taken. The surgeon (prob. the same one who worked on her 2 years ago) will have a look at all the information and figure out how to sort out the problem. It could have involved a 'cut and paste' job but one of the Drs. thinks that it is too long a stretch to do that on.
So we hope that sooner than later we will hear from the hospital again and go to get it repaired.
The second night in the hospital was necessary because Victoria had a slight allergic reaction to something AND was refusing to drink....
It led to the happy circumstance that I met another delightful (Christian) family with a daughter who has d.s. She was going for heart surgery this morning.
The next job is to bath Victoria and remove the plaster strips which were placed over the holes made in her groin yesterday. she's a bit reluctant to stand up and walk around right now - I think it must be sore on her legs.


Post a Comment

<< Home

+ Raising Down Syndrome Awareness -