Victoria

Updates on Victoria Lily Joy van den Broek, born 120705.

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve

I told Victoria this morning that there were many people praying that she would breastfeed - I even told her the names of 5 of them - but she was unmoved. She has strength of character and resolve - very commendable I am sure. We remain thankful for the pump, playtex nursers and the all-important milk supply. Please pray that the slight decline in milk supply is not the beginning of a trend. I have made a conscious effort to drink more water and have started to take the 'more milk plus' capsules I have left from the early days.
Victoria remains well. Having read that part of the 'package' for babies with AVSD is 'repeated chest infections' I am heartily thankful that Victoria has not had a single one. We have an appointment to see the consultant on the 17th of Jan and I hope I shall get an opportunity to point out that her good health is probably largely due to the fact that (unlike a great many downs heart babies) Victoria was able to have breastmilk instead of 'high-energy' (junk!) feeds.
All the other children had only breastmilk until a year and then I began to wean them, it would be good if Victoria could have this advantage especially since her immune system is prob. weaker than her siblings - but whether I can go on expressing milk 7 times a day for the next 6 months is more than I like to think about.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tracey,
    One tip I learned too late for me & my baby was that older mothers who are trying to breast feed should not drink a lot of juice. For some reason juice decreases the amount of milk you make. I was 37 when my baby was born & could only nurse for 3 months. I was tanking down the juice. I thought drinking liquid is good, and didn't realize I needed to stick with water!
    You have a wonderful family!
    Cindy B... I saw your post on Downs Heart and checked out your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
+ Raising Down Syndrome Awareness -