Victoria

Updates on Victoria Lily Joy van den Broek, born 120705.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday morning live from the Brompton

Fortified by bacon butties, I bring you the next installment...

Overnight Victoria had milk through the tube – 30 mls every two hours. She had sorted her breathing out and had a good night until she had to cough – she was in a lot of pain and has spent most of the morning (from 5am until 9am) crying. The good thing was she didn’t need to take any backward steps with her breathing but she did need another infusion of fluid because she had lost too much fluid. It was wonderful yesterday to watch Timothy’s face as he took Victoria’s lovely warm leg in his hand – it has never been warm until now!
The rest of the children (except Richard, who is away in North London and Philip, who is working…) came this morning VERY early. Thomas and David cooked bacon butties in the back of the van for us all. Samuel is now going to stay with me while they all go back – until Sunday when David will stay.
When I sat in the front of the van to eat my breakfast James thought we were all going to go back home again and said ‘oh, BOVER’ when he found that was not the case. The milking machine from home was brought in and I got Victoria’s breakfast in about 5 mins (compared with at least 20 mins on the hosp. machines!) – I look on it as an old friend (thank you SO much Julie!!!).
Lucy has just left to continue her journey to Leicester we had a good laugh while she was here – which was very good for me.
After all the boys has been in to visit Victoria and she was due to be fed, Lucy and I went back in and various tubes were sealed off then the lines in V’s legs were able to be taken out. Being already in pain it seemed it would be best just to get the whole thing over with. Lucy left the room because she finds that any things to do with blood in connection with Victoria are a little beyond her (she has been known to faint!). Victoria cried a great deal and I had to keep telling her that she would soon be better and that without the tubes into her blood vessels she would be much more comfy. She then was too troubled to drink her milk from the bottle so she was getting that into her tube when we left her. I have a little more time with my visitors and then they have to leave and Samuel and I will go out to buy him some new pjs and toothbrush as he wasn’t expecting to stay.
I haven’t been able to read all the messages because I am unsure about the safety of downloading them but perhaps Timothy will bring this again tomorrow and reassure me that I am not running up an astronomical bill on his behalf! I have read the names though and would like to thank you so much for your prayers. I have had my moments when I have felt pretty despairing but the Lord is upholding me through your prayers. As for Victoria, well, she is making good progress and we haven’t heard anything more about infection though the room is still in isolation.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    This all sounds great Tracy, nothing like bacon butties to cheer the soul :)
    Lots of love to you and Samuel, please tell him we all say hello. A big kiss for Victoria and a hug for you.
    Lots of love
    The B's

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sue Perks said…

    It's good to hear that Victoria is making progress. At least she won't remember all the procedures that have been done.

    Glad to hear that you have Samuel for company. He'll cheer you up, I'm sure.

    Love to you all,

    Sue and the Perks

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger HadlowHouse said…

    HI, good to hear that V. is making progress, though her crying for four hours must have been stressful :-(

    Hope you are getting on ok in the hospital and not feeling to cut off from the rest of the family, despite the bacon butties.

    Talking of bacon butties makes me hungry. . .
    Love
    H

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Julie said…

    Glad milking machine is still going strong; the fact that Victoria is now taking milk sounds positive!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
+ Raising Down Syndrome Awareness -